Tuesday 5 February 2019

Well, Cut Me Off at the Knees and call me Shorty!

This expression would have to be one of my favourites, right up there with "slap my face with a wet fish". Wonderful quotes that can be used for unqualified amazement, with or without the F-bomb. And let's face the fact that as we age, we tend to exclaim less about genuine and unexpected wonder. Cynicism becomes more pronounced and our humour moves toward darker themes at times.

Which is why I love a feel-good, knock your socks off great news story. There is precious little of that in everyday life at present. I struggle to find a positive article in the news or on the telly. We are governed by fools, being hammered by climate change and agricultural mismanagement and screwed by organisations who are supposed to help us.

Three months ago, the boom was lowered on Michael. He had developed Type 2 Diabetes. "Lose the verandah" was Doctor Stephanie's sage advice, "and you could well reverse your diagnosis".

"Fat chance!" was the thought balloon that immediately erupted from my head. I had been struggling with weight for as long as I could remember. Yo-yo dieting, cabbage soup dieting, eat nothing until noon dieting, the depressed vino diet (I lost a shit load of weight when I had a breakdown!), being in an unhappy marriage dieting and being scrupulously careful about cutting off the fat diet. I thought I'd tried everything. How on earth could I help Michael lose the weight if I had no answers...

A glimmer of hope. Follow a Mediterranean diet. Reducing carbohydrates was the key.  I had thought that carbs were my friend. They were whispering sweet nothings in my ear whilst engaging in sabotage. And didn't the Italians eat mountains of pasta and still stay skinny was my plaintive cry.

Actually no. The Mediterranean diet, as I researched, was all about fresh produce, nuts, fish, oils, smaller portions of meat and dairy. Lemons and vinegar and...vino! So, we embarked on a voyage of discovery to see what was possible.

Changing lifestyle is not easy and simple. We immediately cut out bread, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables. I bought a set of scales to measure meat and cheese portions. Our sad salad drawer was suddenly bulging with living veggies. We started eating eggs on a daily basis. I discovered low carb wraps, low carb noodles and how to create starch resistant potatoes and rice (cook ahead of time and store for at least twelve hours in the fridge). Michael has warmed to eating baby wombok ( a mild cabbage), spinach and cauliflower. He can even stomach zucchini if I don't overcook it.

I have had to become organised. Michael Mosley and Claire Bailey have become my low-carb gurus. I have to plan ahead. I now have a fridge and pantry stuffed with essentials for any meal. I have discovered honey and cinnamon and vanilla bean. Slow oven baked tomatoes are warm and caramelised food of the Gods. We eat omelettes frequently for breakfast or porridge or pancakes with blueberries and strawberries.

I have had total disasters. The different flours are difficult to use with no instructions. My almond pancakes were an epic fail. As were my coconut flour pancakes yesterday. What I have learnt is that coconut flour should be an excellent thickener for gluten-free dishes and that a coconut pancake can be resurrected as a crumbly topping for a fruit dessert. Guess what we're having for dessert tonight?

And the bestest outcome is that we have lost weight. In three months, Michael has lost about seven or eight kilos. I am edging towards losing five kilos. That excess weight and I have been inseparable for decades. I am truly, delightedly gobsmacked.

The proof will be when Michael returns for follow up blood tests this month. We are hoping for a positive result. And regardless of what the numbers show, we will remain on a low-carb diet. I am feeling better than I have in years. Michael has just about stopped snoring.

Along with the diet has been moving our collectives bottoms more frequently. We are converts to Stretching with Janet on Wednesday mornings. This week, she is beginning SLAB on a Thursday morning (stretching, lifting and breathing). We will be there with bells and whistles. Neither of these classes involves lying on the floor. Excellent news for the awkward risers amongst us. We visit the pool a couple of times a week as well where Jan and I undertake Walking in Chest-Deep Water with Conversation.

I genuinely don't miss pasta or rice at all. I still love my baby potatoes and occasionally cheat when I have forgotten to pre-cook them. Low carb wraps are great occasionally. Sourdough bread will continue to be a treat.

Back in late October, I never dreamt that we could achieve this goal. And I am no sylph. I am an overweight woman who loves vino. But I am moving, both physically and literally.

My only issue is that Michael is turning into his dog. Ruby is always on the prowl for any tasty morsels. Her father is now following suit. But we are persevering, even after a blowout.

I can sense the bar opening in a couple of hours, so I'd better spring off my posterior and finish the housework!

PS thank you very much to Meredith and Kim for introducing this diet change to us a few years ago. I no longer think you're mad...




Porridge - part of our low carb diet...


Here is combining the Mediterranean diet with some exercise...


Yes, that is me at Janet's Stretching on a Wednesday


and I don't ACTUALLY want to be skinny...


Everybody looks fat in the water!



But our Pool is still fabulous fun...



My low-carb hero and heroine...


And our diet bible



Michael occasionally has hunger pangs...


Whilst my pancakes are not always a success!


Our fridge has been transformed from black lagoon to veggie heaven!


Stuff the cracker. I'll just have the cheese. 


No comments:

Post a Comment