Thursday 21 June 2018

Hooray For The Winter Solstice!

I am not a fan of winter, particularly during the days leading up to the shortest day of the year. If I am warm, then I cope better. Within the confines of Station House, we remain snug and cosy, due to efficient insulation, a north facing courtyard and regular usage of our reverse cycle airconditioner.

However, the Gallery is a different story. If I am not physically up and about in the Gallery, I sit with a heater between my feet. Being a hundred-year-old building, she tends to be cool in summer and unfortunately the same in winter. I try to find jobs every hour or so to keep myself moving. Even so, my feet often stubbornly remain as two frozen appendages on the ends of my legs.

Even so, this particular winter solstice has been a rather lovely day thus far. This morning, I braved the great outdoors of our courtyard to plant a new Nandina (Sacred Bamboo) and a punnet of Begonias. I started at nine o'clock with the fog drifting lazily away and dissipating, leaving a beautifully sunlit sky above me. I actually became warm enough to undo my dressing gown and expose my vest and tracky-dak clad body to the world. Luckily, only the plants saw this vision.

I had just finished my garden work when there was a knock on the front door. The Canine Clowns alerted me and I opened our door to Shane Moad, one of our favourite artists, all around good guy and a wonderful friend. Booting Michael out of bed (it was ten-thirty), we thoroughly enjoyed Shane's morning visit to our happy abode.

Upon opening the Gallery, locals Lynn, Linda and Clive dropped in. How lucky are we that the East End Gallery seems to have become a place where people meet. Last weekend, whilst Jenny and Mick Cotter (jewellery designer and master wood craftsman) were visiting the Gallery, York photographer Rob Pampling and his wife Melody strolled through the doors as well. Within the next half hour, Jenny and Melody were reminiscing about times spent together as teachers in Coolgardie and discovering they only lived thirty kilometres apart. Six degrees of separation? Bollocks to that. Come into the East End Gallery and meet old friends or colleagues!

A letter waiting for us in the Gallery revealed another auspicious occasion. After almost six years of the back block having the awkward title of "Lot 420 No Street Address", we were informed in writing that we have been issued a street number to add to the street's newly appointed name of Anzac Lane.

We now live in Station House at 6 Anzac Lane Beverley 6304. What a bloody golden moment.

Even better was to come. Our friendly concreter, Robbie arrived on cue with John and Lindsey, Local Builders to the Stars late this afternoon. After consultation with the Three Musketeers, Michael and I gleefully gave the go-ahead for our driveways and carports to be concreted. Which will occur tomorrow. At sparrow fart.

After this exercise, all that remains is the brick paving to complete Station House's exterior. We are still hoping that our bricklayer will be available next week. Once the concrete slabs begin in the morning, we will be on the phone to him straight away.

Photographing the courtyard coincided with the last of the daylight. Vanessa is preparing a Winter Solstice celebration feast. Lynn will come over to share this momentous evening. And as of tomorrow, the days will begin their slow lengthening towards the spring equinox.

For the shortest day, we managed to pack a great deal of activity into it!




Dawn of the Winter Solstice in Canberra with a bunch of lunatics at Lake Burley Griffith...




A tad nippy, methinks?


We live on Anzac Lane!


View east down Vincent Street...


Our courtyard unveiled...


















No comments:

Post a Comment