Monday 6 November 2017

Michael's Shoes Go to Fremantle.

On returning home from the Party of the Century at Darryl and Wendy's house, we were somewhat worse for wear for a few days. As a result, sorting out Kermit's boot, where we had attempted (and failed) to sleep and finding all our belongings took longer than anticipated.

Much to our horror, we discovered my relatively new Nikon camera was missing. We have searched high and low for my beautiful bright yellow camera to no avail. That it has an outer black rubbery cover means it may have slipped into a dark recess and is just waiting to be found. I had not realised just how much I used it until I lost it! I continue to live in hope. Naturally, the camera will probably surface from its hidey hole the minute I purchase its replacement.

Then I thought I had lost my good walking shoes, with my orthotics insitu. This could have turned into a major catastrophe. I eventually located them under the air mattress, which was still residing inside Kermit's rear. The time had come to clean out the 4WD.

Alas, there was no sign of the camera, even after repeated and increasingly desperate searches. Already gloomy, Michael confessed he was unable to find his good walking shoes and they weren't in Kermit either. Bollocks.

Due to his merry hijinks at his brother's birthday, Michael had very few memories of the entire night. The only stand-out episode involved his frantic efforts to prevent impaling himself on Kermit's tow ball. Resembling a mountaineer in serious peril, he had furiously clutched at the seat belt in the back corner of the car to circumvent an unfortunate demise.

I actually imagined the scenario of taking Michael to hospital. "Excuse me, could you look at my husband's private parts? He has had a terrifying encounter with a tow ball!" Yeah...right...

Anyway, I've digressed. Michael's shoes were nowhere to be found. I suggested my increasingly embarrassed husband phone his brother to inquire if any other attendee had handed in a pair of black walking shoes.  And so, after much procrastination, Michael did just that.

Eureka. Darryl had deduced the location of the Missing Shoes. Another party guest had spied a pair of shoes, neatly together, left forlornly under a tree. About the same place we had parked Kermit...In her slightly inebriated state, she had questioned her sanity in leaving what she believed were her shoes outside the house all by themselves.

And so, she had taken the shoes to her home in Fremantle. Where she discovered she had an identical second pair of the same shoes. One pair was hers; the other pair was Michael's.

Unbelievably, Darryl had her mobile number so we could contact her. Just when we were considering the enormity of a five-hour round trip, to collect his shoes, the lady involved in this case of mistaken identity offered to bring Michael's shoes home to Heavenly Beverley. What a woman.

We are expecting Michelle and the shoes tomorrow. She actually sent us a photograph of the two pairs side by side. They were identical.

I think I need to buy a lottery ticket. Maybe I'll win enough money to buy the new camera.


The Scene of the Crime - a serene property in Toodyay



I'm fairly sure this was the cause of most of the trouble.



Michael in full flight at Darryl's birthday party.


What we were trying to avoid as we were only staying one night.



How we imagined sleeping in Kermit.




A lack of space led to this...


followed by this.




Then Michael's version of the Watusi Quickstep went horribly wrong...


which I feared would lead to this.



When in doubt, admit defeat...



or blame Murphy.


However, this story ended very happily for Michael's shoes which will be returning home!















No comments:

Post a Comment