Thursday 21 September 2017

Family, Friends and Farewells.

Dawn at Mandalay high above the Sunshine Coast. Memories and flashbacks are swirling around my mind. Usually my words flow easily and quickly. Not this morning. The jumbled images of childhood, love, joy, loss, fractured relationships and numerous reconciliations are playing havoc with my thoughts. Yet, my need to write about a sometimes peaceful, sometimes tumultuous week is overwhelming.

Our final day with Simon was flooded with fun and laughter. I met Tony and Karen again, Simon's great friends and fellow water skiers at their home just further along Woods Road. We were joined by Simon's enrolled nurse, Lesley, who worked at his medical practice and her large extended family. The kids, all aged between five and thirteen, adored the thrill of Tony's speedboat and the chance to ride an inflatable raft pulled behind. The screams of delight could be held up and down the river. With Karen at the helm, the two old blokes demonstrated their water skiing prowess on discs and chairs. Father and adult son, Graham and Cameron, were blasted across the boat's wake hither and yonder as Tony and Simon attempted to toss them into the drink. Unsuccessfully. I rode the raft with one of the younger children. Initially very nervous, she found her sea legs and declared the ride to be "faster and funnerer". I heartily agreed.

Lunch and a very pleasant afternoon followed the water activities. Tony and Karen's daughter Kim arrived to join us at an extended table. Out of the blue, Tony offered to accompany Simon to share the driving on the trip south for Dad's funeral. The more time I spent with the lovely Tony, the more I realised that he was generous and kind and amiable. Plus, he told appallingly hilarious jokes.

We were joined at Simon's by my newly discovered niece, Sarah and her delightful partner Geoff for a BBQ dinner. Cool and breezy proved somewhat troublesome for Geoff, as he was still dressed in shorts and a tee shirt. A roaring fire did ease his chill factor. They left, reasonably early as the arrival of the working week called for a good night's sleep. Hugs and promises to see them again in summer.

Monday was all about travel and reuniting with the rest of the family. David arrived with the ever-reliable Kerin and enough food to feed the Fifth Battalion. They had picked up brother Michael at Brisbane airport on their way north. My canine nephew Kenzo was also present for the duration. Simon and Tony completed the group. Dinner was loud and cheerful.

Dad's funeral. A smallish gathering as befitting the age of most of his friends. Familiar faces and a shared grief for my darling Dad. All four of us spoke, as did Kerin and longtime friend Joan. Her tribute to Dad (and Mum) was wistful, sad and beautifully spoken. Dad was a bright and charming man and his death has left a perhaps surprising deep pond of both remembrance and sorrow.

More talking back at our accommodation. We were joined by Rob, David's son. He was a thoughtful and articulate young man who added much to our gathering. However, I was spent. I retired to bed just after dinner and slept, as well as I could, with dreams of the past interrupting my rest from time to time.

David and Kerin left with brother Michael in tow yesterday morning. We decided to treat ourselves to a few hours at the Eumundi Markets. The noise, colour and jumble was exactly what I needed. Here was a chance to live in the kaleidoscope of sights and sounds, smells and tastes of the present moment. We relished every second.

After a fortifying afternoon tea and coffee, we proceeded to the Noosa Waters care centre and Dad's room. The efficient and helpful Karen was at her Reception post. The room was opened and we plunged in to another maze of memories whilst attempting to begin the material cleanout of Dad's sweet life.

We worked for a couple of hours. Dad's solid wood desk is being donated to the centre. His clothes will be spread amongst the family. We tossed undies and singlets as these items are usually not accepted by the charities. I watered all Dad's plants as David and Kerin will not be picking them up until they can make a return trip. Dad's sheets and a beautiful woolen blanket were boxed up and sent to Michael in Cooktown. His crucifix will go to Rob. With less items to sort through by Dave and Kerin, I drew in one last look at what had been Dad's home for over a year. Mixed emotions. But Dad (his spirit or his essence or his aura) is everywhere with me. That helps.

This morning is warm and cloudy. We have farewelled Fiona, one of our brilliant hosts. Mandalay has been a haven of comfort and sanctuary over these last few days. We are returning to the rain and cool of the Western Australian Wheatbelt spring. Perhaps more appropriate weather for my up and down mood. And the chance to be enveloped by the warmth of Michael and our immediate little family so I may sleep more peacefully.

At Simon's -








Funday on the Burnett River -




















Last night at Simon's with Sarah and Geoff - 









And Dad's farewell -
















And the wake -






Final day at Eumundi -








1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I forget to check your blog but then I catch up for a whole month! It inspires me Kate, nmakes me laugh, makes me cry and makes me think. You are a brilliant writer and have an amazing insight into people. Margaret Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete