Tuesday 20 June 2017

The Pig Ate My Mobile Phone...

My brother Michael (as opposed to my husband Michael) lives in the Far (Deep?) North of Queensland. In Cooktown, precisely. Although larger than Beverley, Cooktown - with a population of approximately 2300 - bears little resemblance to our Wheatbelt town of 1700.

For a start, beer apparently is considered to be part of a balanced diet and is often consumed for breakfast. And Cooktown's retail heart, which is centred around Charlotte Street, offers visitors all the comforts of home in a beautiful tropical location. Except when the wind drops.

Yesterday, we welcomed guests from Townsville into the East End Gallery. Two-thirds of their way around Australia, they have friends living in Cooktown in a stunning location high up overlooking the town. Cracking a tinnie is a year-round pastime, socially, dietarily and medicinally. And when there is no wind, Cooktown shuts down. The entire town goes fishing.

Anyway, I've digressed. A few weeks ago, brother Michael declared that his dream 60th birthday would be in the company of his siblings and Dad. On the Sunshine Coast, where Dad lives in a splendid care centre. Being the farthest away, I have become, naturally, the Organiser for this extravaganza.

Brother Simon has the excuse that he will be in attendance at a medical conference in Brisbane. However, we will catch up with him in Bundaberg on our Great Queensland Odyssey. Brother David and possibly lovely wife Kerin and two international students will join us at an Airbnb house.

The only snag is the communication difficulty with Michael, the Birthday Boy. Mike had a shared mobile phone and no computer. I spent most of the last week just tracking him down. We knew Mike lived in a guesthouse in Cooktown.  After drawing a blank, I called the local police. Robyn is one person I will personally thank if we make it to Cooktown. Without breaking confidentiality, she was able to point me in the correct direction. And she suggested she could perform a welfare check on Michael if we couldn't contact him.

A breakthrough on Friday. Using somebody else's (?) phone, Mike rang me. The communal mobile phone he shared with his wife (who lives on their property - don't ask...) had gone missing. As this particular property is on the banks of the Endeavour River, there are a variety of animals at this location. Saltwater crocodiles inhabit the river. Feral pigs are common visitors. Michael's conclusion was that a pig ate the phone.

Before we all descend into hysteria, which I did, this is normality in far north Queensland. And Mike's final words to me were that he would have to get his own mobile phone. I am still waiting with bated breath.

So I am wrangling a 60th birthday without being in touch with the birthday boy. I have no doubt that all will be well in the end. When Mike eventually makes contact with me again, I will book his ticket from Cairns to Brisbane.

That bloody pig caused an unnecessary amount of angst. I hope the phone gave him indigestion.


They are a bit different up there...


What I used to think all pigs were (aawww)...


Yes, I know pigs are intelligent...

And then there's Porky Pig...


In reality, feral pigs are not particularly attractive, either in appearance or temperament...


 
And this is where they roam...


Peppa Pig a Suspect - absolutely not!

Stay tuned.








No comments:

Post a Comment