Wednesday 30 November 2016

Some Other Place, Somewhere, Some Other Time

Michael and I survived the trip east with the help of a sedative (for me), an array of reasonable airline food, some in flight entertainment and his beloved DSLR camera. Heading out of Brisbane in our zippy hire car, we endured bumper to bumper traffic for an hour before we could finally pick up some speed and put the Big Smoke behind us.

We arrived in the late afternoon at Mum's lovely little villa within the confines of the retirement village. We immediately dumped our gear and went to find Dad in the Care Centre. He was alone in the communal dining room, finishing off his evening meal. As I went over to greet him, his face lit up like a Christmas tree. I touched him and stroked him and held him and cuddled him. For quite a long time.

 Michael and Dad had their own sweet conversation whilst I went in search of Dad's bedroom within the building. Comfortable, bright and functional, but missing one vital appliance. His own radio, with headphones of course. Bingo! I knew what we would get him for the great occasion of his 92nd birthday next week.

Dad was a little older, a little more battered but still with his gentle features and astonishing head of silvery white curls. We stayed with him for an hour or so before we went out to dinner at a local Thai restaurant. Then back to the villa to unpack and settle down for the night. We were absolutely shattered. I wanted to sleep well, so I wasn't taking any chances. I took a sleeping tablet and swiftly drifted off to Cloud Cuckoo Land.

I woke with a start at 2.06. I was disoriented for a while. Interesting. I felt Mum was really close. The night had cooled enough to pull up a blanket. Michael was sound asleep. I cuddled into him and returned to slumber.

Morning arrived. A gloriously cool sub-tropical dawn. Slow start. Catching up on days of e-mails and trawling through Facebook. Wondering how to start writing this post. A trip to the Cutting Edge salon, in central Coolum Beach, run by sisters Liz and Kate, to rip and tint my rampant eyebrows. In spite of becoming hopelessly lost several times and arriving hideously late for my appointment, they forgave this Wild Woman from the West and tamed my eyebrows and lip into some semblance of civility. With a hot cup of tea to boot.

Then, a lunchtime visit to Dad with history magazines and his magnifying glass. He was having physio along with two other residents. The care staff were attentive and welcoming. Once again, I held him and stroked his hair like there was no tomorrow. I returned with him to his room and set him up in his favoured chair with the mags for afternoon company. He looked like the cat that had swallowed the canary.

Better still was to come. More of the family had arrived with enough food for the Fifth Battalion. Forty years melted away as I was swept up by my brother Michael's embrace. My childhood companion and best friend had finally come back to me.

I had forgotten his enormous chocolate brown eyes were like deep pools to his soul. I had forgotten his laugh and his voice. Now, I drank him up, vowing never to lose contact with him again. We talked non-stop and I took him to see Dad. Their expressions towards each other were almost indescribable - years of absence blasted away by a tsunami of warmth and belonging and love.

I left them together and returned to the villa. En route I met the administrative staff, fearless leader Michelle and second-in-charge Karen. They gave me valuable minutes of their time just to talk with me. Years of guilt drifted away from my shoulders as I unwound with them.

Kerin had taken charge of the kitchen with extraordinary precision. She would have been quite at home running logistical support for the armed forces. David was in overall command of the good ship Hosking Family. There was endless laughter, along with much chatting and tea and fruit cake.

Later we all hopped into the little blue car and took off for some emergency supplies at the supermarket and bottle shop. The afternoon was completed by visiting one of the many lookouts over the magnificent thunder of the Pacific Ocean.

Dinner, vino, beer, talking and more laughing. A foot massage for David. I gave up attempting to finish this post as the internet was proving to be most uncooperative. Which is why I am sitting in the quietness of our second sunrise and hearing the bird song and one of my sleeping brothers. Waiting for the third brother to complete this gathering of the clan.

As we all gear up for the celebration of  Mum's life.


Back with my darling Dad.


His awesome smile.


Father and youngest son reunited.



Our Captain and his Lady in typical conservative pose.


No comments:

Post a Comment