Tuesday 25 October 2016

Climb Every Mountain...

The final thirty-six hours before our eventual escape to the Goldfields from the House that Rocks were hectic, to say the least. Molehills swiftly transformed into the Himalayas. Disaster perpetuated disaster. I felt that I'd somehow landed smack into the middle of the "Sound of Music". Reverend Mother, whom I've always considered slightly terrifying, was belting out "Climb Every Mountain" at full throttle. Toughen up Princess Kate and get your act together. And all this upheaval was caused by a simple phone call from our autistic superstar, Alex. "Mother" he confessed, "I can't get through to Homeswest".

This statement was responsible for opening the Gates of Hell. Alex believed he'd had a missed call from the housing authority and that call may have contained an Offer of Accommodation. Hey, Homeswest doesn't hurry this process. Alex has been on the  public housing waiting list for seven and a half years and the Priority List for two and a half years.

I foolishly promised I'd investigate on his behalf. I was his representative for Homeswest, having completed The Form at the same time he moved onto the Priority List. I rang Homeswest Mirrabooka. Who directed me to Homeswest Perth. Who weren't answering their phones. Apparently, they were Launching a New System, which obviously wasn't going well. So, I rang Homeswest Mirrabooka again and initiated a series of Probing Questions. First snag. Alex's address on their database was incorrect. My boy had innocently assumed Centrelink and Homeswest communicated with each other and his address would be changed automatically. Not an unreasonable thought.

Alex was required to attend Homeswest, change his address in person and Undertake a Review. Oh goody. Better still was to come. The mystery phone call may have been an Offer of Accommodation from Foundation Housing, who assist Centrelink by housing long-term waiting list clients if they have a suitable site through their sources. Except Foundation Housing and Homeswest don't communicate with each other either.

So, I rang Foundation Housing. Who were here to help. My call went straight to message bank. My second call was answered by Foundation Housing reception, who was, I'm sorry to say, about as useful as tits on a bull. And this was not the fault of the poor lass who was unlucky enough to take my call. She just didn't know anything. However, she did patch me through to the Allocation Supervisor. Who was unable to help a great deal as both his Allocation Officers were away sick.

The following morning I caught up with the Allocation Officer. She could not confirm or deny that Alex had received an Offer of Accommodation. Ye Gods. She was able to tell me that Alex had moved to thirty-fifth position on the Priority List. Which meant if those ahead of him had died, given up, become homeless or not changed their addresses, a place for Alex may become available reasonably soon. In the fullness of time. In the great scheme of things.

The upshot of all this frantic communication is that Alex has had to renew his private lease for another six months. Oh, and Homeswest have no record of  my filling out of The Form. Beautiful. Which means we will revisit this merry-go-round in April. Give me strength.


How to talk to government agencies...


Communication between government agencies...


How welfare recipients are viewed by the government...


Whom Homeswest doesn't communicate with...


And our fearless WA Premier promising more public housing. Yeah right.

No comments:

Post a Comment