Sunday 31 May 2015

A Mystery in the East End Gallery.

Sid is the chief gliding instructor at the Beverley Soaring Society. He is a genial, cheerful bloke who is also passionate about the joys of gliding. Not that he is ever going to get me up there in a tin cigar with very long wings and no engine. I suffer from a serious case of terra firma - the less firma, the more terra!

He has also, surprisingly, been the owner or guardian of a fairly large painting. Which Sid has presented to the Gallery. Apparently, it hung in the Dunsborough Pub for donkeys' years. Now I am on a quest to find out more about this painting, its history, its artist and its worth.

I know the title "Meelup Bay, Dunsborough". I know the painter's name - Chris Meinema. I know he is a reasonably well-known artist as I was able to google him. He actually has a Facebook page, but I have had no luck contacting him. I don't even know if he is still alive. The painting is about forty years old and is framed.

So, if any of you out there can give me some clues about "Meelup Bay, Dunsborough" I would be delighted. Or information about Chris Meinema. I only want to be a temporary custodian of this work. The painting is quite lovely and deserves to go to a new home.



"Meelup Bay, Dunsborough" by Chris Meinema

1 comment:

  1. chris used to live near lake leschenaultia in WA.at one point he taught oil painting at AVAS arts center in northam...during the 80's.i was one of his students.

    ReplyDelete