Thursday 4 December 2014

MEN!

My rant for the day.

What is it with men? Why do men continue to make lousy choices about their mental and physical health? And why are they consumed by fear of appearing "unmanly" in front of their mates? I am so frustrated by these questions today. Hence this diatribe.

Here is the scenario. Michael continues to wrestle with The Bitch. He is back on the fags. I caught him, literally, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, two days ago. Furious. Have promised not to shout at him. So, I clipped him around the ear instead. Took custody of fags. Now doling them out to him one at a time. Again.

He also has a tooth abscess. Went to the dentist without me on Monday. Came home without antibiotics. Grumpy as buggery. So, I had to book a doctor's appointment yesterday to get him on antibiotics and convince him to take the day off. Now added antibiotics and painkillers to his drug regime.

We woke up late this morning. Michael was anxious because he'd agreed to meet one of his mates at the shops at 9 am to start working. He was going to leave without eating, drugs or patch. I told him to get stuffed and ring said mate. Idiot man had left his phone at home, so Michael couldn't contact him. Michael's anxiety skyrocketed, but I refused to let him out the door until I'd made sure he'd had food, drugs and nicotine patch. He was in such a bad mood that he broke open his fish oil capsule trying to get one of the packet. He left, still whinging.....

Gary, Michael's long time friend, who currently rents the tiny residence at the shops and is also working on the building's renovation, looks awful at the moment. Another long time smoker, he has lost weight and is drawn and gaunt. Apparently he is taking drugs for a chest infection, but they obviously aren't working. Michael talked to him yesterday about his health, going back to the doctor and looking after himself. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I have had to take charge of Michael's health as he seems unable to fight for himself. I have told him I will do this until he chooses to do this himself. He says he wants to be with me and I sure as hell want him to stay alive and as well as possible. We've actually talked about death not being the worst outcome for him. What would be the worst outcome is debilitating illness, which would kill all the activities he loves,

I had a quick look at male suicide rates in Australia. The stats are dreadful. Twice as many men are killed by completing suicide than in car crashes. Why? What a bloody tragedy.

There is so much awareness out there about men's health. but are men reading these posts? Why do men persist in neglecting themselves? Why do men appear to see suicide as a viable option to living? When are men going to take charge of their lives, their well being and their long term health?

I believe there must be major change in how Australian men view themselves. And they need to take responsibility for their physical, emotional and social health. Am I dreaming or is this hope possible?

I would really welcome comments to this post, particularly from men out there. Please.


No comments:

Post a Comment