Tuesday 24 September 2024

Willing Slave To The Rhythm...

One of the songs I play to give myself a good kick up the arse is Grace Jones' "Slave to the Rhythm". In particular, I love the 2010 Last Night at the Proms version which I share occasionally as she always blows me away. Her lyrics, an ode to her Nigerian grandfather, include "work to the rhythm...live to the rhythm...love to the rhythm". These phrases really resonate with me, particularly when I am in our beloved East End Gallery.

We arrived home on 25 August. The Gallery and Station House has both been looked after superbly. Our fabulous housesitter and Gallery volunteer, Ms Sue Martin, along with Mr David Lillico, Mrs Gracie Courtney, Mr Geoff Newby-Butt and Mrs Marion Bateman asked for nothing in return for opening the Gallery through rain, hail and shine. And lots of wind...

Plus, Mrs Rebecca Buglass and Mrs Marion Luck, who joined us in the East End Gallery, to establish Studio 116, just prior to our departure on our Great Escape, deserve special mention for revolutionising our combined spaces. We cannot believe that this opportunity to welcome Marion and Rebecca into our building has developed into an amazing partnership. They assist us and we assist them. They are delighted that their revenue has increased and we have benefitted exponentially by having additional and proactive artisans onsite. Rebecca and Marion have both taken the bull by the horns - handling sales, enhancing the Gallery and promoting our dual enterprises. We are so blessed to have these wonderful people in our lives.

We have had art come and art go. And the dust was more than evident and needed to be tackled. As a result, i became a willing slave to the rhythm and the whole Gallery has been turned upside down.This has created a lot of sweat and tears, a bit of blood (when I stab myself with wire), late nights and the odd early morning (which I don't do well). I managed to complete the latest incarnation of the East End Gallery just before last Saturday night's Sundowner. Was I pleased and relived. You bet I was...

And so, without further ado, here is a snippet of the East End Gallery and Studio 116 in September 2024 -

 


Introducing Studio 116...

Beverley Sunrise - Peter Ptschelinzew

 
The Inlet - Samantha Connor
 
 
Tiny Dancer - Marion Luck
 
 
Marion's student Annie...
 

 Marion's student James...

 
Marion Luck
 
 
Rebecca Buglass
 
 
"Rooster Cogburn" - Denese Borlini...

 
Pottery, wood, watercolour and acrylics...

 
Chest of drawers x 2
"Through the Studio Window"


 "Manchurian Pears"

 
"Yellow Submarine"

 
"The Wheatbelt Way"
 
 
Mosaic table...
 
 
"Whiter Shade of Pale""
 
 
 
Botanic illustration and quilts...

 
Front table...

 
Cards galore...Jeans bag SOLD

 
"Starting  a Family"...


Gone Potty...

 
Looking west...
 
 
Northern wall...
 

 "Sydney Heads""...

 
"I am Woman, Here Me Roar"...

 
Origami butterflies...

 
Pottery by Jan Cross...

 
Ladies...

 
"Beverley Backroads"
cards
pottery 


I had a grandfather on my father's sideHe's ninety-five years oldHis great-grandfather came from Nigeria, from the Igbo tribeI don't look like my mother and I don't look like my fatherI look exactly like my grandfatherAnd I act like himDo you act all the time?Not all the time, no
You work all day and men you knowThe wheels must turn to keep the flowOh, oh, oh
Build on up, don't break the chainSparks will fly, when the whistle blows
Oh, ohSlave to the rhythmOh, ohSlave to the rhythm
Work to the rhythm, uh-huh
You build on up, don't break the chainSparks will fly, when the whistle blowsFire burns, heart beats strongSing out loud, the chain gang song
Oh, ohSlave to the rhythmOh, ohSlave to the rhythm
Oh, ohSlave to the rhythmOh, ohSlave to the rhythm
Never stop the actionOh, never stop the actionNever stop the actionKeep it up, keep it upNever stop the action
Slave to the rhythm
Keep it up, keep it upNever stop, never stopKeep it up
Work to the rhythm
Slave to the rhythm
Live to the rhythm
Love to the rhythm

 



 

 



 


 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment