Sunday 28 July 2024

Mishaps, Mayhem And Magic...

There is a saying that a week is a long time in politics. The Beverley Hillbillies can beat that timeline with no effort whatsoever...

What started as routine dinner preparations ended in disaster. We had decided to open one of our gourmet dehydrated meals - beef burgundy with mashed potatoes. The main meal pouch had been opened and boiling water added smoothly and satisfactorily. Setting that aside, Michael began to fill the mashed potato pouch, again with boiling water, to complete what should have been an easy and delicious dinner. I was holding the dehydrated potato between us.

Without warning, boiling water and potato flakes erupted out of the pouch, scalding my tummy and upper left leg. In a second or two of utter confusion, I tried to work out what had happened. Then the pain hit - vicious and intense. Michael had the foresight to pour a bottle of water over me whilst I attempted to remove my leggings and knickers to view the damage. Blisters had already formed and my leg was bright red. Michael continued to pour cold water over me, but by this stage, I knew I was in serious trouble. 

We loaded the dogs into the car and then me. My pain was off the Richter scale. At the Onslow Health Campus, they helped me into a wheelchair and then into a shower. I sat back in a plastic shower chair for over an hour with cold water cascading over me.  Initially, the nurses could only give me Panadol, but before I left the shower, they had been given permission to provide me with Endone. 

As the narcotic took effect, I was moved into the emergency department. We waited four hours for a Telehealth doctor. Fortunately, I had been able to drift during this period and I had ordered Michael onto the adjacent bed after he'd checked on the dogs outside in the car. He fell asleep as we continued to wait.

Eventually, we were reviewed, bandaged, given analgesia and sent on our way. Midnight had come and gone and we were exhausted. Only a bit uncomfortable by then, I gratefully sank into slumber, alongside Michael and the dogs in our very comfortable bed.

The following days have been like a black comedy; hospital visits for dressing changes interspaced with being in the stunning Pilbara landscapes. We farewelled Onslow and have been in Point Samson for the last four days. Many thanks to the staff at Onslow Hospital and the continuing care by Nurse Gill and Doctor Jen at Roebourne Hospital.

Everything about the Pilbara is huge. The tides, the industry, the coastline, the stations, the space and the endless sky. People stay here because they are seduced by the country and the lifestyle. We have driven around the juggernaut that is Cape Lambert and discovered the Port Walcott beach. There were only a few families enjoying this pristine paradise. Lexi entertained by repeatedly prancing around with a small child's swim knickers in her mouth!

Yet, intertwined with all this enormity is a somewhat mundane landmark. Red Dog, the legendary Kelpie who roamed the Northwest in the 1970s has had a movie and a walk trail through the township of Dampier inspired by him. Yet, his life is marked by a small plaque on a rocky outcrop on the Cossack Road. We believe we also found his actual grave, a simple circle of white stones on a nondescript hillock. Rather special in a minimalist way.

Whilst we were at Cossack, a local family arrived to fish and play in the water. We hear so much negativity about First Nations people, so I asked if I could photograph them - a thoroughly ordinary family enjoying a late afternoon thoroughly ordinary activity.

Today will mark my second only shower in the last eight days since my injury. My hair has turned to barbed wire and I am trying not to be upwind of anybody. In this fantastic landscape, even a simple pleasure can be looked forward to with delighted anticipation...

 
The defendant... 

 
The aftermath -

 

 
Inside Onslow Hospital...


Roebourne Hospital entry...

 
Additional metal trim to my hat!

 
Staircase to the moon...

 

 
Farewell to Olly and Beth... 

 
On the wide open road...
 
 
Boab tree at Cossack...


Export iron ore terminal at Cape Lambert...
 
 
Watery ripples on the Point Samson beach...
 
Point Samson rockpools... 

 
Pilbara colours -


 
 
 
The Cossack Art Awards - in the "Bond Store" -

 
Narelle Higson...

 
Shane Moad...

 
Nada Murphy...

 
An afternoon fish at Cossack...

 

 
 
Survival of the fittest...

 
Playing in the rockpools...

 

 
BIG coastlines...
 
 
BIG landscapes... 

 
Port Walcott looking towards export operations at Cape Lambert...

 
BIG toys...

 

 

 

 
And hidden gems -
 
 


 
 
Pope's Nose Creek - very popular fishing site and watching the tidal flow...

 




 
Honeymoon Cove, Point Samson -


 

 

 

 

 



 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment