Friday 11 September 2015

Preparing for a Steampunk Wedding!.

Having successfully postponed the appointment with Centrelink until 6 October, we can now concentrate on our next getaway. This is a bit like deja vu...When Michael first took me to the Goldfields in 2009, we started our trip with a wedding. Now, six years later, almost precisely, we will be launching forth to the Goldfields via a wedding in Chittering.

I feel like I've known Gina, the bride, forever. She was introduced to me by a mutual friend, Punya, who I have known, on and off, for the last fifteen years or so. Punya once presented a particularly memorable workshop at a Kalparrin Mothers' Weekend. At the age of forty-two, I was in an unhappy marriage with little understanding of my own sexuality. My then husband told me I was frigid. I believed him until Punya showed a packed room of women, including me, that  I wasn't as he said.

I am so looking forward to catching up with Punya at Gina and Andrew's wedding next weekend. Gina is a Steampunk artist, producing work that is like a cross between "Around the World in 80 Days" and "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" Her art is vibrant and macabre and innovative and thought provoking. In contrast, Andrew is only a "Mad Scientist". They are like a meeting of minds. We are so thrilled to be invited to their wedding in a stunning location. The views from their home take our breath away.

Needless to say, their wedding is Steampunk. This is all about metal and the Victorian era and waistcoats and utility belts and frills and boots and goggles. We have had great fun decorating our hats and organising appropriate outfits. I'm even going to polish our black matching steel capped boots for this important occasion!

We plan to travel to "Chittering Acres" the day before the wedding to secure a dry location for our camp bed in case of inclement weather. So far, the forecast is promising. But this is spring in Western Australia  and any weather is possible. We will be prepared in case of rain, hail, sleet or blizzard.

We have started packing for Beyond the Wedding, We will leave after two nights @ Gina and Andrew's. The food, utility and crockery and cutlery boxes have all been checked and supplemented. We have started making block ice for the five-day esky. I have already cooked and frozen one meal, another has been cooked ready to freeze and I will cook the last two meals to take away in the next day or so. We are having both cars serviced on Monday and then Kermit the 4 wheel drive will be systematically loaded by Michael. He is very, very good at this task. I will just leave him to this job.

Clothes, toiletries, and our drugs are my domain. These will be ready by Thursday at the latest, so Michael can place them in Kermit's back seat. The esky will be our last job. We will complete this task just prior to departure.

Patrick has been lined up to house sit, dog sit, cat sit and bird sit. He is a very personable young man with family support in town and the inimitable Lorna next door, He is looking forward to looking after the House that Rocks, in spite of the lack of wi-fi.

The clock is ticking. The countdown is on for our next adventure. After a very ordinary winter - Michael had a chest infection for all of July and August - we hope to escape, relax and regroup. And come back with the odd found metal object or two.

We need a break. We both know we need a break. This has been a long winter. And Gina and Andrew's wedding will be just the ticket for launching into spring. Steampunk is cool!


Steampunk for blokes...


Steampunk for girls...


beyond Steampunk!

No comments:

Post a Comment